Sunday, October 6, 2013

Curricular Design

Having a curricular design for my first unit of my high school Civil Engineering & Architecture has helped me feel planned and prepared to teach students. Because I feel so prepared, I now can focus on helping students and making sure they understand what I am trying to teach them. The focus has moved away from me and the curriculum and is now focused on the students and their understanding. This is the best feeling ever! 

One thing I struggle with is how to introduce my enduring understandings and making sure the students are getting it. I also struggle with the pre-assessment stage and successfully differentiating a lesson based on the pre-assessment.

I feel that having the curricular design and assessments based on the standards will help the students more in the long run, and they will be more successful on the end-of-year course assessment.

The curricular design piques my passion because it allows me to intertwine some really cool engineering concepts into the unit based on the enduring understandings. Since I have everything planned on, I can spend time on finding the really cool engineering things to add to the lesson and make it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment