Sunday, September 29, 2013

Abstract

          My action research is based on implementing technology in a classroom to increase motivation and engagement. I conducted my research in my 9th grade Introduction to Engineering classroom. This class is a year-long, elective class. Each of the students in my class has access to a computer, and several students have other technology devices as well. I implemented several types of technology applications in the classroom. Some of these technology applications included Google Sites, Prezi, Twitter, Lucidchart, iPad apps, video editing apps, and many more. The purpose of my research was to determine if the technology that I implemented in the classroom actually kept the students more interested and engaged in learning than if I did not use technology. I used surveys, field notes, and student interviews to track engagement in the classroom based on technology implementation.  I was looking for signs of engagement such as performing/presenting, inquiring, exploring, explaining, evaluating, experimenting, interacting with other students, gesturing, and moving. Based on my research, I hope to determine the effectiveness of the technology as it applies to student engagement and motivation.

2 comments:

  1. I notice your passion for technology integration. I see the ways that you engage your students. I look forward to learning even more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you recording the engagement piece. I'm doing a similar measure, but struggle finding an effective and efficient method to record data.

    ReplyDelete