Saturday, March 16, 2013

Golden Circle Process

Why - I teach engineering because I love being able to build and create things with my mind and my hands, and I want to share this love with students to pique their interests about becoming future engineers.

How - I use PLTW curriculum to teach engineering concepts. I teach project-based engineering concepts.

What - I teach pre-engineering classes to grades 8-12. The 8th grade engineering class focuses on protoyping. The 9th grade class focuses on engineering design. The 10-12th grade class focuses on civil engineering and architecture concepts. I believe that engineering ties in multiple content areas and helps students understand the connection between what they are learning in school and how it ties in with the real-world.


Reflection:

How do I teach "from the inside out"?

I am passionate about every topic I teach and show that excitement in my body language, voice, facial expressions. I use examples in my classes from my work as a civil engineer. I talk about my family and their engineering and architecture experiences. I bring in speakers that are engineers to share their experiences.

In what specific ways does what you believe inform and impact how you teach?

I emphasize the information that I know is important in class because it is what I have experienced as a civil engineer and know that they will face in their possible future engineering career.

How do you communicate what you believe to your students? To their parents? To your colleagues?

Students - I share stories and examples from my career as a civil engineer with my students. I tell them about myself and the joys and difficulties of being an engineer.

Parents - I connect with parents that are engineers at conferences and through email and invite them to talk to my students in class or help out with different projects.

Colleagues - I share engineering stories with my colleagues. We talk about our experiences as engineers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your "Why, How, What" layout. I think I may revise mine. You are certainly student focused and have a strong desire to help your students.
    Your students are lucky to have your "in the field" experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome to have such experience and passion for such an important content area! I really appreciate how you work hard to make it relevant for your students. Creativity is SO important to this field and I can see that you value it in yourself and your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you incorporate your real-world experience into your curriculum. I live how that adds another layer of relevancy to the material.

    ReplyDelete