Sunday, August 18, 2013

I AM


What is my new story?

     "Service for others". My goal this summer has been to work on doing service for others and teaching my boys to do the same thing. I want to teach that concept in my classroom. I want my students to learn how to do things for others and experience the good feeling they get inside themselves when they do things for others.
     Since I teach engineering classes, I can teach my students how to use their engineering skills to help others. I can provide examples of engineers that help others. My overall goal is to do a project that involves designing and/or building something for someone in need within the larger community.


How will I "wake up" the forces of good within your students and your colleagues?

     I will start the year by doing simple community building activities within my classrooms. This will help build a community within the classroom. Then, I'll expand that community to the larger community such as the school by having the students complete a project for the school. I will then hopefully expand the community even further by having the students complete a project for the community outside the school. I will also provide examples of engineers that help others throughout the year. I hope to include my colleague in this plan and have him do similar things for his classes as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment