Saturday, March 15, 2014

AGAPE Relationships





What "a-ha" moments have you had when it comes to relationships?
"A-Ha" moments:  
Building relationships is critical to student learning
Building relationships makes teaching easier
Building relationships helps students succeed
Building relationships doesn't just happen at the beginning of the year - it needs to be worked on throughout the year
Building relationships is hard for me but very important for me to do
If I go back to the videos I had my students create at the beginning of the year and review them, I can use that information as a reminder of what interests my students and what they like to do, etc.

What are your thoughts about "connection culture" referenced in the Coach K article (Value + Vision + Voice)?  In what ways do you incorporate these principles into your classroom community?

Connection Culture:
Building a team, picture wall, competition for two big design projects - house & library project


How will you successfully sustain community with your students until the end of this school year?

Review their community building activities from the beginning of the year. Check in with each student weekly. Provide opportunities for them to stay during lunch.

How will you build connection culture with new students in the fall?

Community building activities - I need to come up with some more for my high school students.

Connect with each student weekly starting right away at the beginning of the year.


2 comments:

  1. I was curious how an upper level teacher would get "voice" out of the reluctant students, so you answered my question - I love the "picture wall" and your design competition projects. Would you be able to do there for the end of the year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of having your students make videos regarding their interests. What a great way to get to know their personalities in addition to their interests. Do you take notes on their videos? Would that save time so that you don't actually have to watch them again?

    ReplyDelete