Monday, March 3, 2014

AGAPE - Relationships

Last week, I finally came to the conclusion that I need to improve the relationship I have with another teacher. I know I need to and will always need to work on relationships with students, but right now, I feel like the relationship with this other teacher needs to take priority. I have had a lot of frustration this year with this teacher, but I can't give up and not help him even though he should be fully capable.

So, I started talking to this teacher about different ideas we have in the classroom. I provided support today for him since he was out sick. Tomorrow morning, I'll meet with him and talk about teaching ideas. I will also throw out ideas on classroom management to help him with his classes.

I'll post more as the week progresses . . .

It's Friday, and I feel better about our relationship. I reminded him before I left today that he needs to post grades by the end of the day. He got in trouble last semester for his lack of grading. He said that he had posted grades and things were good.

We still have a ways to go in our relationship. I can get very frustrated at times with his lack of effort. However, he has shown considerable improvements this week especially in his classroom management and focus on teaching.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this makes me uncomfortable and I don't even know the person. Good for you to "dig deep" and offer patience and guidance. It sounds like this person is open to your suggestions. You are making a difference in their teaching and that benefits the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at a staff development event and heard someone grousing about having to babysit a colleague. That can be so frustrating. I'm glad you're able to handle it graciously. It will be time well spent in the long run.

    Does he have too much going on outside of school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAHHH Jodi, I can totally relate. A few years ago I was in a similar situation. I was constantly frustrated with the lack of effort and engagement a co-worker who I have to collaborate with was demonstrating. Looking back, I really wish I would have taken the time to get to know them more. I had found out recently that he had a very sick wife and a child who was also very ill. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and ask..."Is everything okay?" "Can I help in anyway?" But at the same time, we don't want to get taken advantage of. I encourage you to stay patient and continue to try and build a stronger relationship with this individual!

    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi,
    I feel as teachers we do spend a lot of time focusing building positive relationships with our students, that we forget about our coworkers. I have formed a very strong group of coworkers ranging in grade levels. It is nice to communicate, bounce ideas off of each other, and receive feedback. I do feel that there are other coworkers I need to be connecting with better, but there is such limited time. I do however make it a point to be polite and respectful to others when I see them in the hall or when we are in the workroom together. Having strong relationships among coworkers is a great foundation for a successful school.

    ReplyDelete