Friday, January 10, 2014

Curricular Design - Strategic Teaching Activity

This week, I tried using the strategy "Concept Attainment" in the "Understanding Strategies" group. After looking at all of the strategies, I decided this one was the best one that would fit for what I was teaching. I admit, that most of the strategies intimidated me!

My students are learning about residential development. This week, we covered the topic residential foundations which can be a little boring. Using the concept attainment strategy helped to make it more interesting and understandable for the students.

To begin the lesson, I told the students that we were going to discuss residential foundations and that they would need to take some notes. I showed them 6 pictures of foundations and told them that three of the pictures were "yes" examples of the concepts we were learning, and three pictures were "no" examples. The students totally picked up on the concepts and were intent on figuring out what we needed to learn. It was great to see their excitement and interest in a topic that can be a little dry. They brought up some great points about foundations and had a great discussion, and I didn't have to teach them - they taught each other based on the pictures I showed them!

I will definitely use this strategy again and may be more willing to try another strategy based on the results of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment